Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Great Chicken Debate - Part 1

As you may or may not have heard, apparently Chick-Fil-A hates gay people.  Actually, that’s not true at all, despite what you may have heard.  Where does all this controversy come from?  Dan Cathy made the following statement to the Bapist Press:

“We are very much supportive or the family -- the biblical definition or the family unit.  We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives.  We give God thanks for that.”

Someone please tell me how that is an anti-gay, well, anything?  He is not bashing homosexuality, he’s not attacking anybody.  He is merely voicing his support for the idea of one man/woman marriage without divorce.  Where’s the problem with that?  Where is the intolerance?  I’ll tell you where the intolerance is in just a second.

What is Dan Cathy’s real sin?  It’s his lack of tolerance.  New tolerance, that is.  In more reasonable times tolerance meant something different than it means today.  In more reasonable times, tolerance meant that you “put up with” something that you didn’t necessarily agree with.  You “you lived” with it, you dealt with it.  Live and let live.

I am not a fan of wide brim baseball caps, I think they look stupid.  However, when I see people wearing them I don’t go out of my way to tell them they look like a d-bag.  I will not snatch it off their head and stomp it in the dirt.  I tolerate it.  When someone is driving under the speed limit, I either slow down or go around.  In other words, I tolerate it.  When my neighbor puts diarrhea brown siding on her house, I tolerate it.  I don’t say crap, even if that is what it looks like.

Were I intolerant of these things, wide brim hats would be stomped, slow drivers run off the road and ugly siding ripped off houses.

But that does not fit in with the newspeak version of tolerance.  Now tolerance is synonymous with advocate.  Dan Cathy didn’t bash gays, he didn’t never even mentioned gays in his statement.  But he failed to advocate homosexuality.  His failure to properly promote and support gay marriage means that he is “intolerant.”

As a result, the “tolerant” crowd have made themselves known by harassing, slandering and attempting to bankrupt, not only Chick-Fil-A but their employees as well.  Who’s intolerant again?

No comments: