Saturday, April 26, 2008

Debating Operation Chaos

I was on a road trip with my family and the subject of Operation Chaos came up with my brother. For those who don't know Operation Chaos is the brainchild of Rush Limbaugh. The premise is simple, listeners in states that have upcoming primaries vote in the Democrat primary (as the Republican candidate is already chosen.) If you live in a state that does not have open primaries, switch your registration to Democrat and vote in the primary. The goal is chaos for the sake of chaos. Keep both Clinton in Obama close enough in the primary that neither will drop out. The effect is two-fold, the primary last longer, both candidates beat up on each other and the Democrats spend all of their money. This will force the DNC to lose time on McCain but also to select the nominee based on party insiders and not the voters. Rush, I hope I did you justice there...

Anyway, the topic of Operation Chaos came up because various Democrats are making noise about investigating Limbaugh for voter fraud or some other trumped up charge. My brother does not support Op Chaos citing that it is "manipulation" of the process and thus is not fair. My brother also feels that it is beneath Republicans to participate in this process.

Manipulation. That is the operative word. The entire premise of voting is manipulation. You go down to the booth and try to alter the outcome of the election. I can vote for whoever I choose and so can anyone else, no matter how ridiculous. If we ever get to the point where the government or anyone else tells us who or why to vote we are finished as a nation.

Also, if we are going to just line up all Republicans and say they can only vote Republican and registered Democrats can only vote Democrat then why bother with voting at all? Why not just count by registration?

The vote is what is important. I can vote for who I want for any reason. That concept transcends anyone in this election.

No comments: